Field Service Winding Engineer
Brush Americas is a unit of Brush Group, a large worldwide group with a footprint reaching from Pittsburgh, U.S to Melbourne, Australia. Brush Group has grown for over 130 years to be recognized as the largest independent manufacturer of electrical equipment including 2 and 4-pole Turbogenerators, Power Management Systems, Transformers, BRUSH Switchgear and Harrington Diesel Generators. We have a variety of clients across all sectors including oil and gas, power management and marine sectors, providing innovative and complex solutions to our demanding customer base.
This position is generally responsible for providing electrical and winding repair services to customers operating a wide range of original equipment, which includes: generators, motors and ancillary systems.
Desired familiarity with the following: BRUSH BDAX 6, BDAX 7, BDAX 8, BDAX 9, GE LM6000, 7FH2, 6A2, 6A3, 6A6, 6FA, 7A3, 7A6, 9A3, 9A5, 324, in addition to various Westinghouse, Siemens, ALSTOM, and other OEM generator frames/models. Experience with air, hydrogen, and liquid cooled generators in 2 and 4 pole configurations desirable. Experience with generator high voltage testing such as PI, DC Leakage, and Hipot. Experience with generator rotor and stator robotic test equipment such as RoGIS, MAGIC, and MAGIC Jr. a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Comply with OSHA, BRUSH, site specific, and other industry standard health and safety practices having jurisdiction to protect both life and property. Maintain, accomplish, and/or attend QEHS training as required.
- Interpret machine performance data, instrumentation readings, test values, specifications, technical requirements, and technical drawings to competently understand job scope requirements and assist in performance of job functions.
- Prepare method statements and risk assessments, execute quality documents, maintain on-site safety documentation, and adhere to FME policy.
- Overhaul and clean large generators, including the necessary degree of mechanical strip down and re-build.
- Perform electrical testing. Locate, diagnose and repair winding faults.
- Demonstrate competencies with tooling such as the following: basic hand tools, multi-meters, megger, rigging, generator special tooling, and HIPot.
- Carry out basic mechanical strip down (and rebuild) of machines to gain access for winding work and carry out in-situ winding repairs and partial /full rewinds on high and low voltage machine windings.
- Assist mechanical service engineer(s) on assignments, which will not necessarily involve winding related activities.
- Maintain records, submit daily reports, and prepare detailed reports for submission to BRUSH project manager.
- Compose detailed and concise technical reports for customer acceptance and documentation of work performed while on-site.
- Submit timesheets, and expenses in a timely manner to enable Company billing.
- Attend technical meetings and functions as a liaison between the customer and BRUSH to help ensure the delivery of satisfactory services.
- The ability and willingness to be prepared and available to travel when called upon and on short notice on a regular basis both domestically and internationally 75% - 85% of the time or as business needs dictate.
- This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive and you may be required to undertake various duties as may reasonably be required of you by the Company.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with 2 or more years' field service experience in generator winding maintenance and repair or a High School Diploma/GED and 5-7 or more years' hands-on field service experience in generator winding maintenance and repair and at least 2 years as a lead.
The Ideal Candidate
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Brush Americas reserves the right, upon a conditional offer of employment, to require the applicant to submit to and receive a negative result for drug and/or alcohol testing. In addition, employees are subject to both annual and random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment.
It is our commitment at Brush Americas to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About the Company
The BRUSH Group is the world’s largest independent manufacturer of generators above 20MVA. With a comprehensive range of products and services including transformers, switchgear, portable generating sets and control & monitoring systems, BRUSH is your ideal partner for electric power generation, distribution monitoring and control.
BRUSH has been a key figure within Electrical Engineering for over 130 years, offering a wide range of ‘electrical machines’, and providing our customer chain with the highest calibre equipment and after sales service.
Here at BRUSH US we are very proud to offer:
- A very competitive salary
- Paid Time Off
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short-term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Competitive benefits package which includes 401K and a tuition reimbursement plan
- Overtime for qualifying positions
- Shift differentials for qualifying positions
- Per diem when applicable
- Car allowance for qualifying positions
- On-the-job training for certain shop positions
Applicants must have or be eligible to obtain proper documentation to work in the US.
Brush Americas requires employees to submit to and receive a negative result for drug and/or alcohol testing in order to be eligible to work in the US. In addition, employees are subject to both annual and random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment.
It is our commitment at Brush to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.