Field Service Mechanical Engineer
Brush Americas is a unit of Brush Group, a large worldwide group with a footprint reaching from Pittsburgh, U.S to Melbourne, Australia. Brush Group has grown for over 130 years to be recognized as the largest independent manufacturer of electrical equipment including 2 and 4-pole Turbogenerators, Power Management Systems, Transformers, BRUSH Switchgear and Harrington Diesel Generators. We have a variety of clients across all sectors including oil and gas, power management and marine sectors, providing innovative and complex solutions to our demanding customer base.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform ‘hands-on-tools’ technical, mechanical installations, commissioning, maintenance and repairs, and troubleshooting on generator stators, bearings, rotors, pumps, exciters, couplings, and auxiliary equipment at customer worksites throughout the United States, Canada, Central and South America.
- Interpret machine performance data, instrumentation readings, test values, specifications, technical requirements, and technical drawings to competently understand job scope requirements and assist in performance of job functions.
- Perform core maintenance activities such as disassembly, clean and inspect, evaluation, and reassembly on heavy-duty industrial generators and equipment such as: rotor couplings, frame components, shaft-driven oil pumps, bearings, seals, hydrogen seal assemblies, and generator rotor removals.
- Perform electrical testing on low voltage windings in the field. Use of tooling such as: hydraulic tensioners, hydraulic rams, basic hand tools, pneumatic impact drivers, multi-meters, megger, rigging, generator special tooling, caliper, and precision measurement equipment.
- Perform inspections, evaluate, and provide recommendation on equipment regarding vibration, alignment, lube oil, and jacking oil systems, bearing babbit condition, generator oil seals, ventilation systems, unit running clearances, cooling systems, and overall generator cleanliness and overhaul.
- Prepare method statements, execute quality documents, maintain on-site safety documentation, and adhere to FME Policy.
- Prepare detailed and concise technical reports for customer acceptance and documentation of work performed while on-site.
- Submit daily progress reports, timesheets, and expenses in a timely manner to enable company billing.
- Promote service business including activity relating to field service, new unit sales, parts sales, and shop repairs of brush and non-brush supplied equipment.
- Maintain, accomplish, and/or attend EHS training as required.
- Attend technical meetings and functions as a liaison between the customer and Brush Americas to help ensure the delivery of satisfactory services.
- The ability and willingness to be prepared and available to travel when called upon and on short notice on a regular basis both domestically and internationally 75% - 85% of the time or as business needs dictate.
The Ideal Candidate
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 2 or more years' of hands-on field service experience in generator maintenance and repair OR a High School Diploma/GED and 5-7 or more years' hands-on field service experience in generator maintenance and repair and at least 2 years as a lead.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Brush Americas reserves the right, upon a conditional offer of employment, to require the applicant to submit to and receive a negative result for drug and/or alcohol testing. In addition, employees are subject to both annual and random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment.
It is our commitment at Brush Americas to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About the Company
The BRUSH Group is the world’s largest independent manufacturer of generators above 20MVA. With a comprehensive range of products and services including transformers, switchgear, portable generating sets and control & monitoring systems, BRUSH is your ideal partner for electric power generation, distribution monitoring and control.
BRUSH has been a key figure within Electrical Engineering for over 130 years, offering a wide range of ‘electrical machines’, and providing our customer chain with the highest calibre equipment and after sales service.
Here at BRUSH US we are very proud to offer:
- A very competitive salary
- Paid Time Off
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short-term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Competitive benefits package which includes 401K and a tuition reimbursement plan
- Overtime for qualifying positions
- Shift differentials for qualifying positions
- Per diem when applicable
- Car allowance for qualifying positions
- On-the-job training for certain shop positions
Applicants must have or be eligible to obtain proper documentation to work in the US.
Brush Americas requires employees to submit to and receive a negative result for drug and/or alcohol testing in order to be eligible to work in the US. In addition, employees are subject to both annual and random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment.
It is our commitment at Brush to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.