Field Service Electrical Service / Commissioning Engineer
Brush Americas is a unit of Brush Group, a large worldwide group with a footprint reaching from Pittsburgh, U.S to Melbourne, Australia. Brush Group has grown for over 130 years to be recognized as the largest independent manufacturer of electrical equipment including 2 and 4-pole Turbogenerators, Power Management Systems, Transformers, BRUSH Switchgear and Harrington Diesel Generators. We have a variety of clients across all sectors including oil and gas, power management and marine sectors, providing innovative and complex solutions to our demanding customer base.
This position requires a high degree of technical competence with a corresponding level of self-sufficiency and resourcefulness as well as executing all responsibilities in a professional manner and with a customer service-oriented attitude. Assignments may require working alone or as a member of a team. Domestic and international travel are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the ability to accurately perform the following.
- Comply with OSHA, BRUSH, site specific, and other industry standard health and safety practices having jurisdiction to protect both life and property. Maintain, accomplish, and/or attend QEHS training as required.
- Interpretation of specifications, technical requirements and drawings.
- Checking customer interconnections; secondary injection and dynamic proving of protection relays; electrical testing.
- Carry out performance, diagnostic, and acceptance testing of turbo-generators and associated equipment.
- Interpreting machine performance data, instrumentation readings and test values.
- Setting up automatic voltage regulators, synchronizers, power management systems, protections, and exciters.
- Basic mechanical strip-down and rebuild of machines to gain access for testing/commissioning work.
- Supervision of and training of customer site personnel, subcontractors and service agents.
- Attending technical meetings.
- Preparation of detailed and concise technical reports for customer acceptance.
- Developing method statements, risk assessments and processes to complete service work with contributions to continuous improvement projects.
- Submit reports and expenses in a timely manner to enable Company billing.
- Aid management in supporting BRUSH new equipment and aftermarket services business via scope reviews, customer meetings, and/or sales.
- Assisting in follow up and providing feedback to Company on existing and potential projects, identifying new business opportunities where possible, and reporting on competitor activities.
- Promoting aftermarket business including activity relating to parts sales and the installation, commissioning, overhaul and maintenance of BRUSH supplied equipment. Desired familiarity with other equipment such as: GE EX2000, EX2100, EX2200, Bozler, Siemens, ABB, ALSTOM excitation, Load Commutating Inverters, silicon control rectifiers, and other generator control systems.
- Familiarity with generator, stator, and rotor control curves, power generation setup and protection, and high voltage power distribution markets desirable.
- To assist in identification, selecting and placing materials orders for subcontractor supplies to support upcoming work scopes and project deadlines.
- Data gathering as required during the course of executing the responsibilities.
- Protecting the legal and commercial interests of BRUSH at all times.
- Adherence to Company Procedures, Performance Standards, Safety Standards, Standing Instructions and the Employee Handbook.
- The ability and willingness to be prepared and available to travel when called upon and on short notice on a regular basis both domestically and internationally 75% - 85% of the time or as business needs dictate.
- This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive and employee may be required to undertake various duties as may reasonably be required by the Company.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with 2 or more years' field service experience in generator or turbine controls or a High School Diploma/GED and 10 or more years' field service experience in generator turbine controls or equivalent combination of education and industry experience.
The Ideal Candidate
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Brush Americas reserves the right, upon a conditional offer of employment, to require the applicant to submit to and receive a negative result for drug and/or alcohol testing. In addition, employees are subject to both annual and random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment.
It is our commitment at Brush Americas to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About the Company
The BRUSH Group is the world’s largest independent manufacturer of generators above 20MVA. With a comprehensive range of products and services including transformers, switchgear, portable generating sets and control & monitoring systems, BRUSH is your ideal partner for electric power generation, distribution monitoring and control.
BRUSH has been a key figure within Electrical Engineering for over 130 years, offering a wide range of ‘electrical machines’, and providing our customer chain with the highest calibre equipment and after sales service.
Here at BRUSH US we are very proud to offer:
- A very competitive salary
- Paid Time Off
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short-term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Competitive benefits package which includes 401K and a tuition reimbursement plan
- Overtime for qualifying positions
- Shift differentials for qualifying positions
- Per diem when applicable
- Car allowance for qualifying positions
- On-the-job training for certain shop positions
Applicants must have or be eligible to obtain proper documentation to work in the US.
Brush Americas requires employees to submit to and receive a negative result for drug and/or alcohol testing in order to be eligible to work in the US. In addition, employees are subject to both annual and random drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment.
It is our commitment at Brush to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.